Recent Changes

Tuesday, January 23

  1. page Soldier's and Sailor's Monument edited {https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1co-OhpTEHJfQmvLYJYjsNoPA_NFepuum} {https://…
    {https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1co-OhpTEHJfQmvLYJYjsNoPA_NFepuum} {https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1co-OhpTEHJfQmvLYJYjsNoPA_NFepuum}{https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1ACAoD-sjEH6h8kZYS25m2zky6vQyvwro} The Soldier's
    The 55ft tall statue was donated by a Mr. and Mrs. George Cook to honor Jefferson County citizens who fought in the Civil War. Two statues, a sailor and a soldier in Civil War uniform, flank the bottom of the structure, while a statue of Victory sits at its top.
    An assessment done by the city determined the monument was in need of much restoration work. The city received a state grant toward the cost of restoring the monument, the rest of the funds will be raised through private donations. It was hoped work on the monument will begin in 2011.
    (view changes)
    6:32 am
  2. page Soldier's and Sailor's Monument edited {http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww22/JeffCoWikiPhotos/Jefferson%20County/Watertown/PSquare-so…
    {http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww22/JeffCoWikiPhotos/Jefferson%20County/Watertown/PSquare-solmonum5.jpg} {http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww22/JeffCoWikiPhotos/Jefferson%20County/Watertown/PSquare-solmonbase.jpg}{https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1co-OhpTEHJfQmvLYJYjsNoPA_NFepuum} {https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1co-OhpTEHJfQmvLYJYjsNoPA_NFepuum} The Soldier's
    The 55ft tall statue was donated by a Mr. and Mrs. George Cook to honor Jefferson County citizens who fought in the Civil War. Two statues, a sailor and a soldier in Civil War uniform, flank the bottom of the structure, while a statue of Victory sits at its top.
    An assessment done by the city determined the monument was in need of much restoration work. The city received a state grant toward the cost of restoring the monument, the rest of the funds will be raised through private donations. It was hoped work on the monument will begin in 2011.
    (view changes)
    6:30 am
  3. page St. Paul's edited {http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww22/JeffCoWikiPhotos/Jefferson%20County/Watertown/St_Pauls_c…
    {http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww22/JeffCoWikiPhotos/Jefferson%20County/Watertown/St_Pauls_current.jpg} St. Paul's TodayThe{St_Pauls_current.jpg} The Grace Episcopal
    ...
    St. Paul's. {http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww22/JeffCoWikiPhotos/Jefferson%20County/Watertown/Grace_Church-Old_St_Pauls.jpg} Grace Episcopal ChurchIn{https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1XmaaBI_aEXxsh0pj8_4P-_-sFQ711CU6} In 1996, St.
    It was announced in August, 2009, that, due to low membership, St. Paul's would be closing its doors, and its congregation merging with Trinity Episcopal Church. The building will continue to be used by another church.
    In August, 2012, St. Paul's was sold to Tabernacle of Worship Covenant of Life church.
    (view changes)
    6:25 am
  4. page Fort Drum edited ... Fort Drum lies in the northeast corner of Jefferson County. It occupies land in the towns of L…
    ...
    Fort Drum lies in the northeast corner of Jefferson County. It occupies land in the towns of LeRay, Philadelphia, Antwerp, Wilna and Champion.
    On August 31, 1907 the first training was done by the NY National Guard on the Pine Plains, then called Camp Hughes, about a mile from Felts Mills. Beginning in 1908, the U.S. Army established Pine Camp near Great Bend (Madison Barracks and other military units of the US needed more training area), eleven miles east of Watertown. Brigadier General Frederick Dent Grant, son of General Ulysses S. Grant, was sent with two-thousand regulars and eight-thousand militia. Grant decided that it was an ideal place to train land troops and the next year money was allocated to purchase the land.
    {http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww22/JeffCoWikiPhotos/Old%20Photos%20-%20Marc/ccctruck.jpg} CCC trucks filled with trees for plantingIn{https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1LmOKImLToQfo6z_mJIXbWEJNcERY7sLC} In 1934 Madison
    Also in 1935 Pine Plains gained national attention when the largest peacetime maneuvers ever held in the US took place on Pine Plains and the surrounding area. Over thirty-six thousand troops participated in the maneuvers and some were arriving by train every fifteen minutes, coming from as far away as New York City. The exercise continued for thirty-six hours on the hundred or so miles of land the Army had leased. After the great success of this exercise the military purchased another nine-thousand acres.
    Because of the war and the United States Army's need for a larger training area (Pine Plains only had around 17,000 acres or so), the US Government acquired LeRaysville and the William Phelps Mansion on September 24, 1941 from Mr. and Mrs. William V. Delancey as part of the Pine Camp Military Reservation Expansion. The government also acquired the LeRay Mansion and the Sheepfold Cemetery. Pine Camp had been picked for a major expansion and an additional seventy-five thousand acres of land (some say 84,000) were purchased by the US Government. By Labor Day of 1941 one hundred tracts of land had been taken over. Five hundred twenty-five families were displaced, five villages were eliminated (LaRaysville, Sterlingville, Lewisburg [named Sterlingbush for awhile], North Wilna and Woods Mills) as well as smaller settlements (Slocumville, Reedville, Nauvoo, Sterlingburgh, Doolins Crossing, East Antwerp, Hubbard Crossing, Alpina, and Rockwell Creek), some others were reduced to a portion of their size, three thousand buildings; including twenty-four schools, six churches and a post office were abandoned (these are the so-called "Lost Villages" of Fort Drum). Then, during a ten month period and at a cost of twenty million dollars, contractors built what consisted of an entire city to house the divisions scheduled to train there. Constructed were eight hundred buildings; two-hundred forty barracks, eighty-four mess halls, eighty-six storehouses, fifty-eight warehouses, twenty-seven officers' quarters, twenty-two headquarters buildings, ninety-nine recreational buildings, and guardhouses and a hospital. The contractors had a hard job as the winter of 1941-1942 was one of the coldest in the history of the North Country. Three divisions trained at Pine Camp under General George S. Patton's 4th Armored Division (General Creighton Abrams was a battalion commander here at the time), the 45th Infantry Division and the 5th Armored Division. Pine Camp was also a prisoner of war camp and of the prisoners who died in the POW camp, one Italian and six Germans, are still buried in the Sheepfold Cemetery near Remington Pond. (Most of the preceding and more can be found on the Fort Drum website.)
    (view changes)
    6:16 am
  5. page Jacob Jennings Brown edited Jacob Jennings Brown {http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww22/JeffCoWikiPhotos/Jefferson%20Coun…

    Jacob Jennings Brown
    {http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww22/JeffCoWikiPhotos/Jefferson%20County/thumb_jacob_brownpng.jpg}{https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1pvDzkmQZjNkITnW-KuVbOVF-hQaFAZsu} (born May
    General Brown lived in Brownville for 22 years.
    Born in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, he was the son of Samuel and Abi (White) Brown. His parents, being prosperous, sent Jacob and his older brother John to an academy in Trenton, PA. He graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 1790 (or had to leave school in 1791 because his father had lost much money in poor speculations). After that he taught school and then was a land surveyor in Ohio.
    (view changes)
    6:14 am

More