Town of Watertown


The Town of Watertown was formed in 1800.

Early Settlement

(The following excerpt taken from Our County And Its People: A Descriptive Work on Jefferson County, New York; Edited by Edgar C. Emerson, The Boston History Company,1898.)

Watertown within its present limits embraces original township No.2 of the Black River tract, or Leghorn, as then known. When created it included Nos. 1, 2 and 3 of the tract mentioned. The town was first surveyed in 1796 by Benjamin Wright, and afterward by Robert McDowell. It was subdivided in 1801 by Joseph Crary for Silas Stow as agent for Nicholas Low, the proprietor. Settlement, however, was begun by Henry Coffeen, Jonathan Cowan, Hart and Isaiah Massey and Zachariah Butterfield, some of whom purchased lands in 1799 and came to the town in the next year, locating on the site where now stands the city. Oliver Bartholomew came during the same year and settled down the river about two and a half miles. These were the only families in the town during that year, although many prospective purchasers visited the locality, and some of them made contracts with the agents.


Cities, Villages and Hamlets

Watertown (city)
Burrville (hamlet)
Watertown Center (hamlet)







This page was created by AJRII & has been edited 3 times. The last modification was made by - AJRII AJRII on Nov 22, 2008 1:42 pm.