You are not a member of this wiki.
Pages and Files
Public Square History 1950-2000
Photos, l-r. JB Wise Block demolition, Mohican demolition, Woodruff demolition, Woodruff Professional Building. Click each photo to enlarge.
The square continued to be the heart of
well into the 1950’s. Citizens came in droves to the square to enjoy its shopping, culture and nightlife. Traffic congestion on the square became a source of trouble, prompting city officials to redesign the center islands, forming them into one large park, and setting up traffic lanes and stop lights. In 1953, inventor Jules Saaman, working in an office in the
, invented the
Little Trees Car-Freshner
. His invention today is world famous, and its corporate headquarters are still in
during this time lost three of its buildings in response to the needs for more parking. The
J.B. Wise block
was torn down in 1958. Two small, one story buildings were built on part of this site. These buildings today house the
Apex Army Navy Store
, and a nightclub. The
was demolished in 1964, and the old train station behind the
was also demolished when passenger rail cars ceased coming into
. The site of the old train depot and rail yard was converted to the
J.B. Wise Parking Lot
. Also in the 1960's, the Strauss Electric Building on the square's north side was destroyed by fire. This site was later converted into the Strauss Memorial Walkway as a passage from the square to the
J.B. Wise Parking Lot
continued its business and social dominance through the 1960’s, its fortunes were in decline. Rapidly declining industry in
left many businesses on the square struggling. The
opened a discothèque in its lounge to drum up business, complete with Go-Go cage dancers. The square survived the
program that devastated much of
Streets, but lost its anchor store, when Woolworth’s moved into the newly built
City Center Mall
, in 1970.
The most significant event on
during the 1970’s was the demolition of the
. Once the square’s crowning jewel, the
had been in decline for many years, finally closing its doors in 1974. The decision by the city to tear down the structure in March 1976
met with vehement protest from
natives, to no avail. Many people flocked sadly to the square daily to watch the demolition. While the additions of the 1920’s came down with relative ease, the original 1851 structure proved to be of stronger stuff. At one point, the wrecking ball bounced off the building and crashed into the neighboring Empsalls annex, to the amusement of onlookers. The demolition gave the
J.B. Wise lot
more space, and the site of the original structure remained vacant for the next 20 years. Public Square also lost the
, one month after the Woodruff demolition, in April 1976.
The 1980's became a crucial turning point for the square. The announcement of the expansion of nearby
became an economic boon to
, helping to fill in the economic void left by the mass exodus of industry from the city. However, this windfall for
became a blow to
. The square was still, despite
’s faltering economy, the city’s main shopping destination. With the arrival of the
10th Mountain Division
, developers ignored the square, and downtown
as a whole, opting instead to build numerous shopping centers, restaurants and hotels on outer
, near the exits to
. This development saw a mass exodus of shoppers from downtown, and subsequently, the closure of many of the square’s long time businesses. The business that remained, and the new ones that did manage to open, struggled for the next 20 years, as development continued to focus entirely on
. Many of the historic structures on
suffered from this economic depression that wracked the downtown area. In 1984, the square was listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
During the 1990’s, despite the economic hardships,
saw significant new construction. In 1991, the Henry Keep Apartment building was constructed on the former sites of the
Buildings. In 1996, one half of the old
lot became occupied with the new Woodruff Professional Building.
original architect plans for the
(notably the arch and porthole windows) were consulted in the designing of the new medical office building.
Next Chapter: 2000-Present
Previous Chapter: 1900-1950
Public Square History Main Page
This page was created by
& has been edited 9 times. The last modification was made by
on Oct 19, 2009 10:14 pm.
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"